THE PROS AND CONS OF ICE HOCKEY
Ice hockey is a fast-moving sport that takes a lot of skill to play at all, let alone to play well. It is a contact sport played on an ice-rink, usually with six players on each team. The objective is to propel a puck past the goal line and into the net which is guarded by the goalkeeper.
Due to it’s speed and frequent physical contact, ice hockey has become one of the most popular international sports. There are more than one million registered ice hockey players in the world, most of which have the dream of one day making it into their country’s Olympic team.
While ice hockey may seem like a fun sport that you might like to try next season, we recommend you weigh up the pros and cons of the game before you give it a shot.
The Advantages of Ice Hockey
1. Like most other sports, ice hockey will keep you active. It’s the perfect way to stay in shape and build your fitness.
2. Through training, players will develop their coordination, strength, flexibility, agility and reflexes, all of which can come in handy both on and off the ice rink.
3. Being involved in a team and working towards a common goal, helps to develop communication and listening skills, and learn how to respect authorities and the rules.
4. Players will develop personal skills, such as self-confidence, patience, self-esteem and sportsmanship that will be an advantage in all areas of life.
5. Full-body physical exercise will boost the brain, causing endorphins to be released, eliminating any depressing feelings and improving the players mood.
The Disadvantages of ice Hockey
1. Ice hockey is an incredibly fast-paced sport. It takes a lot of energy and physical training to be able to keep up. You will likely be exhausted after the game.
2. It is a contact sport. Expect to be pushed and shoved.
3. Injury is very likely when you play ice hockey, simply due to the face paced, aggressive nature of the game.
4. It’s cold! You will be on an ice-rink, which means the general temperature is quite cool. You will warm up throughout the game, but if you hate the cold in general you might want to steer away from this one.
5. You will need to learn how to ice-skate first! The entire game is played on skates, so you will want to be a pro at this before you even attempt to play.